Last night I did my first Bentonite Clay Treatment. I was hoping to loosen my curls after reading others that were successful. This process wasn't time consuming like Henna Treatments, it wasn't as messy, and I did notice a difference.
Here's my process and products.
I got the Bentonite Clay from http://www.iherbs.com/, free shipping and it came overnight.
I used some Argan Oil I got from Sally's Beauty.
Apple Cider Vinegar from Trader Joe's (Like a Whole Foods)
Rose Water from Whole Foods
I took about 2 1/2 cups of Bentonite Clay and put it in a plastic container.
Next I added about 2/3 the bottle of Argan Oil (After reading about how this clay can make you hair dry I didn't want to take any chances)
Next I added the ENTIRE bottle of RoseWater and mixed it.
Then came about 6 Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar.
I then mixed everything together and let it sit while I went to take my bun down.
Next I parted my hair and began added the thick muddy clay all over my head, face and neck.
Next came the waiting.
So I deceided to watch a little bit of The Ladies Number 1 Detective Agency with Jill Scott on my computer.
I wanted the mask on my face to get kind of hard to pull out the dirt and detox my face.
While waiting and watching the HBO show I was reading about how you can detox the body with Bentonite, so back to the kitchen I went to make a Clay Shake. I used Some Tropical Blend V8 Splash, a table spoon of the clay, and a dash of agave nectar for taste. I wasn't pasty it just tasted like a dirty V8 Splash. I downed some Wormwood pills with it, it detoxes my tummy and intestines.
Wacthed some more of the show!
Then I checked the time and it was time to wash my face.
I just got in the shower and used warm water to hit my face. I didn't add any soaps or anything to my face. The Argan oil in it kept my face nice and soft.
After about 20 more minutes I began to rinse my hair. I massaged my scalp and it took about 10 minutes to rinse the clay mostly out. Next came my Wen Fig Clarifying conditioner.
After rinsing that out I used my KBB Deep conditioner and my Macaroon Conditioner to soften my hair.
Here is my wet hair fresh out the shower
Nest I dried my hair with one of those microfiber towels I got from CurlMart.com
I added some JBCO to my roots to stimulate hair growth.
I sprayed on the last little bit of my Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Leave In.
Did a quick length check
Hair air dried
The next day at work
1. The clay cleansed my hair and I felt my scalp was clean.
2. My hair felt a little stripped of it's moisture but it wasn't really bad.
3. The process didn't take very long at all.
4. Curls are still defined as normal
5. Hair texture did change
6. Low cost and effective cleanse
7. Can be used to detox the entire body, face, body, hair, and colon.
8. Skin felt cleansed
1. The apple cider vinegar did make the clay mix smell a little strong.
2. Didn't loosen my curls, that was the main reason for the treatment.
3. Had to had tons of creams the next day because hair got dry over night
4. Hair texture changed but gave me more of an Afro, although I love my afros that wasn't what I wanted.
5. Had to use a lot of my oils to put the moisture back in my hair
6. Takes a lot of effort to rinse out of hair and face