Interview with Nappy Rutz





Where are you from? Dallas, TX but moving to Atlanta in the next few months!!


What do you do? I’m doing Nappy Rutz fulltime as of recent.

What is your hair story (including when and why you went natural). My first 2 years of becoming natural was a bit different from the typical. I went from perm to natural by way of press. Like most, I didn't do the "BIG CHOP."






I allowed my stylist to persuade me into transitioning from perm to press by simply pressing the new growth and flat ironing the permed hair until it all grew off a year and some months later. Mr. Nobles was quite educated and had many years of experience in working with natural hair. While in transition my hair fell out only on the edges, as this is normal when transitioning. Luckily my hair grew back quickly and I had enough hair to wear a swoop bang for a few weeks to cover my edges. Becoming chemical free wasn’t so bad; I was still able to obtain my length plus much more. Years later would I have gone about it differently, NO. Am I a lot more educated about natural hair since 8+ years ago, YES!






For 2 1/2 FAITHFUL years I threw money down the drain by getting my hair FRIED, DYED and LAYED to the side every 2 weeks. SHOUT OUT TO M. Nobles, now residing in Cali. Don’t get me wrong my hair was beautiful but I paid anywhere from $55-$80 every two weeks, you add that up. I would not suggest pressing your hair on a regular basis. He held me hostage for 3 hours every other week. I wish I had my time and money back. Because I was so dependent of Michael’s services, it wasn’t until he took a short leave from the salon for me to see the light. Once I heard that, I didn't know what to do! Press my own hair?, Whateva! So I decided to get two-strand twists with extensions. Can't quite remember if I kept them in for 1 or 2 months but they were in for a while. Anywho, once I took the twists out it was OVA, I was like, awww now shut CHO MOUTH, I love the crinkles in my hair. Immediately, I fell in love with the waves the twists left in my hair. Enough said and the rest is history I never went back. Initially my hair did not have its natural texture for quite some time because of the continuous heat for 2 ½ years. I then started to tackle shampooing and styling my own hair, which wasn’t a problem. Had no idea what I was getting myself into and boy was I in for a journey.






I will never go back to creamy crack, why you ask, BECAUSE I’M CHEAP!!


What mistakes have you made with your hair that you've learnt from? Do research before adding color to your natural hair/ Do research on the stylist that claims to know how to color!!

What's the best/most effective thing you do for your hair? Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize! My hair thanks me for it!!

What was your staple hair style during the transition? Press and Run answered above

What do you use in your hair/What are you favorite products to use? Pure Shea butter, coconut oil, jojoba oil and EVOO mixed together. it also depends on what style I like to achieve, I do use them individually as well.


What do you like about being natural? Of course the versatility, I can get 6 hairstyles out of twists, ( twists one week, up-do the next, twist-out the next and an afro thereafter

How did family and friends react to the new you? Oh they loved it b/c I somewhat knew what to do. What was your response to them? Thanks and you can do it too, and now all my siblings and my mom are natural.

If your hair had a nickname, what would it be? Nappy Rutz Why? B/c I love my Nappy Rutz, literally!

What are you passionate about, aside from natural hair? My business, which consists of “Nappy inspired tee-shirts and handmade earrings specifically designed with a Natural Woman in Mind.”

What is your wish for all black women? Love and Embrace your natural hair, and it will LOVE You BACK!!


Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?

Website: http://www.nappyrutz.com/


www.facebook.com/nappyrutz

Fotki Hair Album: http: //members.fotki.com/SlendernessNapps/about/
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NEW - Sunny Isle Extra Dark Jamaican Black Castor Oil

Results: JBCO Hair Challenge with Hairlista

New Obessive Compulsive Cosmetics 2014 Liptars (from IMATS Los Angeles)